The Coordinator: prof Milan Mataruga, PhD
The project supported by the Ministry of Agriculture , Forestry and Water Management of the Republic of Srpska
Project “ The National Strategy and Action Plan for Protection of Biological and Landscape Diversity in Bosnia and Herzegovina (2008-2015)” has been implemented. The project definies there is a high degree of diversity of gene and genetic resources in BiH and it deserves far more attention of the society in Bosnia and Hercegovina.
The National Assembly of the Republic of Srpska adopted The Programme for the Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources in the Republic of Srpska in June 2008 and, thus, the legal framework for the activities for the protection and sustainable use of plant genetic resources in the Republic of Srpska was enabled. (“Official Gazette of the Republic of Srpska No.59/2008”) The Programme presents a detailed overview of the conservation of the genetic resources of agricultural species. The Programme is in accordance with ECP GR - European Cooperative Programme for Crop Genetic Resources Networks which has enabled a better intergration between the existing institutions involved in conservation and sustainable use of plant genetic resources. The Programme for Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources in the Republic of Bosnia and Srpska, however, does not include forest genetic resources , except fruit tree species, although the forests covers 49% of the area of the Republic of Srpska.
The project activities should provide the information about the current state of forest genetic resources parallelly with theoretical settings and international experience in the possibilities of conservation and directed use of the same. The first phase includes:
• detailed description of local and international regulations related to forest genetic resources
• theoretical settings of the posibilities of conservation and directed use of forest genetic resources
• international activities and experience in creating the programme of preserving forest genetic resources
• overview of valuble, endangared and rare forest ecosystems and species in the Republic of Srpska
• resent activities in conservation and the analysis of the current condition in the forests of the Republic of Srpska
The results of these project activities make a platform for making the entire Programme for Conservation of Forest Genetic Resources in the Republic of Srpska. The Programme, in this way, would be an integral part of the Programme for Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources in the Republic of Srpska which has been published in its entirety.